Tuesday, April 28, 2009

How can I grow a Peonie bush from a single flower?

Just wondering if its possible to grow a bush from a single flower I received in a floral bouquet. I was told if I cut off a piece of the stem and place in a glass of water, wait for roots to sprout, and then plant. That seems too easy. Thanks for any advice. Also, specific details would really be needed here, I'm very new at this!! Thanks!

How can I grow a Peonie bush from a single flower?
Hey. You can grow certain plants from cuttings or water-rooted twigs, but not peonies as far as I know. That would be like trying to grow roses from a bouquet. I once received a flower arrangement that had dried corkscrew willow branches in it. When I went to throw out the flowers, there were fine hair roots on the twigs so I potted them, watered and nursed them for about six months, then planted the sturdiest ones outside. Lo and behold, five years later I have the most gorgeous 12-ft high tree in my side yard. You can do this with any type of willow and gardenias. Other plants have to be cut at an angle, then have powdered root starter put on them and have to be watched carefully. It's fun when it works out though. We live on 3 acres and I've cloned a lot of plants and trees.
Reply:I just moved to nevada from mn and would also know how to do this email me Tarhonky@hotmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment